Saturday, January 4, 2014

Why breastfeeding a toddler makes people uncomfortable

Jack is 26 months and a big toddler, he is also still very much my sweet nursling that nurses on demand. Over the past few months we have been in multiple situations where people have said it makes them uncomfortable that he is still breastfeeding. These are people who know how I feel about breastfeeding and nursing in public. I've been trying to figure out what exactly makes them uneasy and I think I've got it.

When a toddler nurses it can be very entertaining, there is the nipple twiddling, pulling and grabbing. Also followed by squirming and climbing all over you while still managing to have a boob in their mouth. I know that by the time all my babies were in this stage they didn't nurse much except for naptime and bedtime. Then there is Jack who still nurses with so much enthusiasm you would think I had crack for breastmilk. He makes every part if his breastfeeding session a production. It starts with an insistent noise and head bob directed at my chest followed by just pulling down my shirt  and helping himself if he can. He also has added blowing on my nipple like its hot, pulling the other nipple as far out of my shirt as he can and switching about 10 times in one feeding. What do I say to the people who feel uncomfortable watching a toddler nurse? Look away or please talk to me like I'm human because any distraction from my toddler pulling on my nipple is great! Don't get me wrong I love the cuddles and sweet moments of breastfeeding a toddler and I try to enjoy them because I know they will be ending soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment