Friday, March 8, 2013

my second and what I thought would be my last birth..

My second pregnancy and what I was sure was my last was for the most part easy. I gained 12 pounds (significantly less than the first time) and had mild morning sickness but that was it. The time went by fast because I was running my daycare and chasing my 4 year old. At 37 weeks I went into labor early and had to be hospitalized overnight. Thankfully the doctor was able to stop the contractions and I was sent home to rest and wait for my little girl. The next 3 weeks went by pretty quickly and then it was time! We did nipple stimulation to get labor going and wow did that work, I was already at 6 cm when we got to the hospital around 9pm. I received an epidural and took a much needed nap, woke up to my doctor saying not to push because she had crowned while I napped. The next hour was a blur of activity, she had to be turned while she was still in because her shoulder was stuck. This I would realize later would be what broke my tailbone. Then a nurse asked if I would let a EMT team watch the birth, I said yes what the heck was a few more people at this point. But all I remember was the cute guy standing behind the mirror, oh the things our brains choose to remember. The rest was easy, one push and she was out and on my chest. She had lots of dark hair and was beautiful. We nursed right away and then I had to give her up so I could be sick for an hour, a drawback to having a quick labor. She went from daddy, grandma and her uncle back to a very tired mama..we were transferred to our room where we actually rested and were able to sleep. She had a little trouble latching and we had to use a shield for a few days but were otherwise off to what would be an extended breastfeeding career. She nursed for 39 months and is still very healthy and a superstar student and has a huge heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment